Veteran’s Day for 2009 is tomorrow, Wednesday, November 11th. The nation will celebrate like usual with sales and some having the day off of work or school. But there are a number of great ways to show your thanks to Iowa’s and the nation’s veterans.
Veterans Day events around the metro area include:
- The Fort Des Moines Museum will hold an event honoring our veterans. Keynoting the event is Brigadier General Stephen E. Bogle, Director, Joint Staff, and Iowa Army National Guard. The event will also include a color guard, flag folding ceremony and music by MSgt Rebecca Starmer and the Hoover High School band. Reception will follow ceremony. It starts at noon and is free.
- The first Veteran’s Day Ceremony at the Iowa Veterans Cemetery in Van Meter will begin at 8 am.
- A ceremony for Korean & Vietnam Veterans at the Korean & Vietnam Memorials on the Iowa State Capitol Grounds at 10 am.
- A Tribute to Veterans Concert featuring the Nadas at the Veterans Memorial Auditorium in Des Moines. The Concert starts at 12:00 PM and features a special tribute to WWII POW Veteran Glenn McDole. Donations can be made which will go to the Iowa Veterans Trust Fund.
- A ceremony at the WWII Memorial on the Iowa State Capitol grounds at 2 pm.
- A Gold Star Hall Ceremony at Memorial Union on the campus of Iowa State University in Ames at 2:30 pm. The event will commemorate the Iowa State servicemen who gave their lives to serve our country. Seven names will be added.
To find events in your area you can contact your local County Veterans Services Office. They can be found here: https://www.iowava.org/counties/index.html or by calling 800-838-4692.